Tuesday, May 21, 2019

#anxiety and #worry are not synonymous.

It's easy to share the beautiful photos of my kids and paint the insta-perfect life. It's less easy to share a moment of utter vulnerability that you documented because you know that you aren't alone.
The truth: I am one of the 18% of American adults who deal with #depressionand anxiety.
Today I want to talk about anxiety, and #anxietyattack specifically.
I was excited to go to the party my friend was throwing. Our kids would play together and go swimming and it sounded like a grand time. To make a longer story short, a child (not one of mine ) got in the water over their heads and was drowning. Action happened pretty quickly and she was scooped up to dry land and was just fine.
She was fine and I wasn't.
At first when the rapid heart beat didn't slow down I figured I might just need some deep breaths...but then my old friend anxiety paid me a visit and I was soon it's prisoner.
I watched as the other mom's talked amongst themselves about life jackets, busy kids, and food. They had been able to take what happened, compartmentalize and move forward knowing no know was hurt.
I wasn't okay. My heart was beating out of my chest so hard that I had to retreat to the bathroom. I sat on my friends floor trying to absorb every bit of cool I could from the tiles. My face felt warm, but a look in the mirror showed most of the blood had left muface. That nagging scene on repeat playing over and over.
The car ride he shortly after was a difficult one. I had to.stop.several.times to vomit.
I was overcome.
So.often anxiety and worry have been minimized or.grouped.together. those mom's I mentioned? They long since.had "gotten over" that spill.into.the water.
The feelings sat with me for about 4 hours.
I wouldn't wish that on an enemy..... I thought this chart could help someone. 


Being anxious and being worried are two ends of the spectrum. ♥️

No comments:

Post a Comment