Monday, May 27, 2019

Amition isn't a dirty word

Ambition.


It's for those other types of people. You know, the ones who went right to college after high school --

who graduated college while you were still trying to figure out where the last four years went.

Ambition -- it's that word for the anal types who have meticulously planned out their life, and you just

*know* they will do the things.

I've been afraid of the word ambition. Afraid that I won't follow through. Afraid that others will be

astounded that I *dared* to dream the dreams.

But mostly? I'm afraid to allow myself to dream big.

I mean *really really* big.

I'm afraid I am not one of those people who can do it. I guess I'm afraid I'm one of those people who don't

deserve it. Which I realize is ridiculous because never have I met someone that I thought --- hey that person

doesn't deserve to dream big.

Ambition scares me because it's a verb. It's not just thinking about it --- it's making the plan. And that is where

I get stuck.

I am a dreamer. I am Alice.

"Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."

But there has been a stall. I stall when the transition period of dreaming to doing starts.

I stood staring at a new planner recently. It was set up hourly for appointments. I always thought those were

crazy or only for corporate working peeps. I SURELY had NOTHING important enough to document in an

hourly schedule. (Are you rolling your eyes with me?) I considered what items I would even have to write

down. The thing is... everyone... literally everyone.. unless you are in a vegetative state... has appointments to

fill in. Or SHOULD. I mean... unless you are totally content with your life and are done dreaming. It could be

work schedules and meetings or playing Candy Land with your kids. (Recently, author Rachel Hollis referred to

playing Candy Land with kids as Saint Work, and I have to agree...)



Here is the deal. Do you have dreams? Do you have goals?

What is the difference?

Dreams are just that. Dreams. Desires.

Goals?

"Goals are dreams with their work boots on" -- Girl, Stop Apologizing.

I have the same time as everyone else.

What am I filling that time in with? Are the things in my 24-hour slots working towards improving my life,
maintaining my life, or worse? I can sit a scroll for 60 minutes on my phone seeing how OTHER people are
putting their dreams to work… or you know… I could do the CRAZY thing and get to it.

I am going through a whole brain growth this last week or so. I have SO MANY OPPORTUNITIES to make my
time count toward growth.

Do I want to start that website? Yes. Do I feel like I am prepared enough? No. Do I feel like i’m equipped? No.

 But…. am i capable of learning?....... I think so.


I’m tired of my kids being messy. Do I sit and complain to them and remind them for the 12,000 that shoes go
by the front door? How’s that working out for me? (Not well as I spy SEVERAL pairs of shoes skewn around
the house). How about spending LESS time complaining about them not doing what they are told… and more
time WORKING. THE. PROBLEM.

(I watched The Martian last night again, so work the problem is stuck in my brain :)

How about creating a system to help them be more organized? How about NOT picking up after them -- instead
equipping them with the tools and confidence to do it on their own.

I have the time to do things. I have the ability. I just think am too busy spending time WISHING something
would change.

I promise you. I’ll be getting an hourly planner. Because I have a lot of dreams, a lot of goals, and a lot of

opportunities every day to work toward them

Ambition. I am gonna be filling my cup on it. If we are friends, I'm sorry for sounding ridiculously similar to a

self-help book for the next forever --- but I am going to allow myself to walk down the path of those dreams

and attach some action to them.

What are you doing every day to take steps closer to your dreams?  What excuses are you using?


What one thing can you do RIGHT NOW, in this moment, (literally now.) to move closer to where you want to be?

<3

Ashlee

No comments:

Post a Comment